Summer is Over – Back to School

• School is in session in Marblehead meaning that summer is unofficially over. Please be mindful of children as you drive through town.

Today marks the first day of school and, with it, the unofficial end of summer. I shot this image of Veterans Middle School on a July day in 2013 and shared other compositions from this outing but never this one for some reason. I went back to it last night as my kids got ready for their first days of school (one at Vets) and realized the potential in the shot with a fresh set of eyes.

With school officially in session, please take care as you drive through town (especially in the morning and early afternoon).

By |2018-08-27T21:19:00+00:00August 28th, 2018|Categories: School|Tags: |13 Comments

1. Ann Elizabeth Hernon August 28, 2018 at 7:24 am - Reply

Can almost smell the chalkboard in my old High School.

2. Rick Smith August 28, 2018 at 8:14 am - Reply

Great photo…I attended high school there.

3. David Ross August 28, 2018 at 8:45 am - Reply

Alma Farter.

4. Dale Wright McMahan August 28, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

So many memories of the matron running after us down the hallways to make sure our skirts were not too short . Lol

5. Cindy Boot Anderson August 28, 2018 at 9:39 am - Reply

Ah … my high school too! 3 cheers to the MHS class of 75 ? – thanks for the memories!

6. Kelly A Maurais-Hancock August 28, 2018 at 10:32 am - Reply

Class of ’85

7. Stanley McCarver August 28, 2018 at 11:02 am - Reply

My parents graduated from there in 1939.

8. Rosemarie Holbrook August 28, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

Here in Swampscott is first day too.

9. Leo Regulus August 28, 2018 at 11:33 am - Reply

Pass

10. Frank L Parker August 28, 2018 at 3:11 pm - Reply

I have a cousin, Earnest Anthony “Buzz” Cascini who attended here when it was the high school. He lived on Gingerbread Hill, and one afternoon after football practice he and a friend were caught in a violent thunderstorm with a lot of lightning. They tried to outrun the lightning but didn’t make it. Both boys were knocked down, but not injured, that they knew, at the time. My cousin has suffered severe late sequels of electrocution. I don’t know if he graduated from Marblehead High, but it sure was one of his favorites of his father’s Coast Guard postings. His Dad, my Uncle, Capt Earnest Cascini was commandant of the naval district of which the center was Boston. They loved Marblehead, and it spread to me and my family. We still visit every summer…friends. When we can’t be there, Dr Oren keeps us posted. Many thanks.

11. Stephanie Whitford August 28, 2018 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Class of ’81 here

12. Janet Elle August 28, 2018 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Class
    Of
    75. Good
    Memories and some of us are
    Still in touch and do things together. Even though we may
    Have moved to different locations

13. Jody Kauffman August 29, 2018 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Class of ‘77. Spent lots of free time on that patch of green grass on the hill- we had “open campus” back then…..