Above the Waves at Castle Rock

• An aerial image captured a few feet above the waves at Castle Rock captures the iconic location from a new perspective

If you read yesterday’s caption to go along with the image of Castle Rock (captured back in February 2017), it wouldn’t surprise you that I made a beeline for this place when clouds formed a little after 1pm. I hadn’t shot a single frame at Castle Rock and had only just came to that realization. At the same time, I had been rethinking my approach to aerial images.

With that in mind, I arrived at Castle Rock only to find the clouds less impressive than I had hoped. I had brought my camera as well as the drone but opted for the latter and took my time flying it to the ocean facing side of the rock formation. From there, I slowly descended until I was maybe 10 feet above the sea (the altimeter was reading the drone as -20 feet based on launching from the path at Castle Rock).

Suddenly, I had found a completely new vantage point for this location from just above the waves at Castle Rock. I waited and timed the shot for this moment when a small wave broke over the rocky shore under the water. The final image looks like it could have been captured from a boat though I’m willing to bet no one with a boat would ever get this close to the rocks. You can just make out a person atop the rock formation to add a sense of scale to the final image.

I’m curious what you think of this style of aerial imagery.

By |2018-08-08T20:11:56+00:00August 9th, 2018|Categories: Aerial|Tags: , , |19 Comments

1. Suzanne Lynch August 9, 2018 at 6:51 am - Reply

???? !! We are so incredibly lucky to have your talent and eye right here in our beautiful coastal world !

2. Lisa W. Parker August 9, 2018 at 7:30 am - Reply

Wonderful perspective. Would be cool to see same shot from high above as well perhaps side by side. Fun to see your “experiments”.

3. Lyn Curtis August 9, 2018 at 7:45 am - Reply

LOVE IT!! This idea opens up a whole new way of looking at our beautiful town.

4. Patrick Hill August 9, 2018 at 7:49 am - Reply

Love it. Drones not just for high aerials but also to reach inaccessible vantage points. Always nerve wracking when the altimeter shows negative! What do you use for a drone?

5. Maggie Yochum Raftus August 9, 2018 at 8:09 am - Reply

Love it. 360 of Castle Rock.

6. Peggy Dening August 9, 2018 at 8:28 am - Reply

Love it!!! Keep it up.

7. Reid Kirkpatrick August 9, 2018 at 8:32 am - Reply

I had a friend from school who lived in the castle and spent a fair amount of time there. Nice shot and thanks for the memories!

8. Judy Anderson August 9, 2018 at 8:35 am - Reply

I love the perspective! A very interesting and unusual shot which emphasizes the size and massiveness of Castle Rock by including the person on the rock and the castle in the background.

9. Kathleen Fennell Gillis August 9, 2018 at 8:42 am - Reply

Loved climbing these rocks as a kid..the rock is amazing in s storm

10. Gail Blum August 9, 2018 at 8:44 am - Reply

Captures the raw beauty of the rock formation and wave. Yet the person in background and buildings keep it from looking desolate. I love this shot!

11. Meag Reddy August 9, 2018 at 9:07 am - Reply

Beautiful picture. I proposed to my fiancé right on top of Castle Rock last summer, wish I had had a drone to get a picture from this angle!

12. Kathy Kelly August 9, 2018 at 9:47 am - Reply

Love this picture. Castle Rock is where I saw, and heard the ocean for the first time. I think I left my heart in Marblehead. (Sorry San Francisco).
    I’m from Utah, but have never seen the Pacific Ocean.

13. Jill Moulton Cavanaugh August 9, 2018 at 10:05 am - Reply

I like the intimacy of the close, low aerial shot taking me someplace new.

14. Holly Reynolds August 9, 2018 at 10:30 am - Reply

Really looks like you were in a boat!!

15. Dorothy Reinhardt August 9, 2018 at 10:52 am - Reply

It’s nice that you could get the rock and the castle in the same shot.

16. Rosemarie Holbrook August 9, 2018 at 11:16 am - Reply

Great picture. Thank you?

17. Day Gotschall August 9, 2018 at 8:45 pm - Reply

Fantastic pic!

18. Jennie Mason August 10, 2018 at 5:42 am - Reply

I love Castle Rock!! Thank you for the new view! If you like beach combing check out all the flotsam and jetsam on its beach and lodged in all of its nooks and crannies

19. Stephanie Nelson Halpin August 10, 2018 at 7:17 am - Reply