A First Harbor Christmas

• The First Harbor company boat holds a perfectly decorated Christmas tree in the waters of little harbor in Marblehead

For each of the past few years, the First Harbor company has launched their small boat carrying a Christmas tree into the waters of little harbor. I’ve shot the tree with the moon rising behind it and with snow falling around it. Last night, the rain cleared and a dense fog advisory came out which offered a new vantage point for me to shoot the tree and boat.

I arrived to find the dinghy heavily weighted down by rainwater and lucked out with the Peach family showing up to pull the boat ashore and empty a few buckets of water out of the hull. Unfortunately, the led lights, solar panel and battery seemed to have been damaged by the water and thus the boat was set back into little harbor without its brilliant lights.

As luck would have it, a car pulled in and I caught a single frame of the boat with a golden glow on it. I quickly realized the car’s headlights could add a perfect amount of light to the scene and ran up to turn my high beams on. With the fog, a fast lens and the light washing over the small boat, I was pretty happy with the final image.

I couldn’t help but overhear the difficulties encountered with getting Christmas lights to work reliably in the water off a marine battery and solar panel. I have to believe that this town with its extensive marine knowledge would be able to come up with a solution to ensure the tree is lit every night at sunset so that everyone who ventures to little harbor can see it glowing on the water for the month of December.  Please add a comment or tag someone who might be able to help rig a more durable setup for powering the lights.  Thanks!

By |2018-12-02T21:53:00+00:00December 3rd, 2018|Categories: Little Harbor|Tags: , , |16 Comments

1. Kirsten Friedrich December 3, 2018 at 7:33 am - Reply

I hope they get some to help replace the solar panel and battery. Rain was relentless!

2. Gabrielle Guide Stachera December 3, 2018 at 7:38 am - Reply

Heather Berman Brooks

3. Janice Doliber Sumner December 3, 2018 at 8:48 am - Reply

Such a lovely tradition, hope someone has a solution although I love the lighting of this photo.

4. Priscilla Kuffel December 3, 2018 at 8:48 am - Reply

Although this is a pretty picture,last years one with the lights and snow surpassed it.I also think the lonlines of the little boat last year that did not include any land in the photo added to its superiority.

5. Dana Coughlin December 3, 2018 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Beautiful, Looks like an Amesbury Skiff

6. Christine Dolan December 3, 2018 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Beautiful, you are so talented.

7. Christine Dolan December 3, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

I do have to say last year’s pic is my favorite. The serenity and peacefulness of it made it that more special.

8. Jon Putnam December 3, 2018 at 6:35 pm - Reply

If you get another photo please put in a plug for the company itself – I mean the camera that allows those of us not in town on any given day to see the boat remotely.

9. Susan Weitzenfeld Rosen December 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm - Reply

Pretty!!

10. Rosemarie Holbrook December 3, 2018 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Beautiful ???????

11. Kira Bre Clingen December 3, 2018 at 9:48 pm - Reply

Mark Bavoso weekend!!

12. Katherine Mulligan December 3, 2018 at 10:12 pm - Reply

I love it!

13. Harriet Brooks December 4, 2018 at 11:43 am - Reply

Beautiful and serene?

14. Tom Peach December 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Thanks for the concern but this isn’t a struggle against weather or a lack of help. There are no LED lights or a solar panel. We have a reliable deep cycle marine battery and 110 volt 400 watt inverter under cover with an outdoor timer and incandescent lights for a classic look….It is nothing more than a failure of Chinese made junk timer that is not up to the task…it has been replaced and we hope its quality is equal to its price.
    This small wooden boat has been a labor of love and a fun way for us to decorate our small town.
    Its wonderful to finally be recognized for our hard work. Thank you Jon Putnam

15. Susan Corlies December 4, 2018 at 6:03 pm - Reply

I can’t express how much this scene delights me. When your 2019 calendar arrived, I immediately hung it to enjoy the December photo that I love so much right now, this year. I gave your 2018 calendar to a close girlfriend who is also a fan of yours. I’m keeping 2019’s for December’s photo. And I will adore it for 2 December’s in a row!! Thanks, Eyal.

16. Peter Oland December 6, 2018 at 5:39 am - Reply

Michael A. Mentuck that is a great looking tree! Thank you for sending it along to me. And thank you to Tom Peach and family for their initiative at this time of year.