Playing with Shadows on Old Burial Hill

• An aerial image looking down at shadows on Old Burial Hill formed by the morning sun and a fresh coating of snow.

I’m curious what you think of today’s image of shadows on Old Burial Hill after a recent snowstorm.  One of the aspects of shooting with my new Phantom 4 Pro is the ability to capture Marblehead from new angles and perspectives.

I captured this image looking straight down on an early morning at the intersection of Old Burial Hill and Redd’s Pond.  I tried the accentuate the long shadows cast by trees and gravestones at Old Burial Hill created by the angle of the sun and the fresh coat of snow.

Let me know what you think in the comments.

By | 2017-02-15T09:14:41+00:00 February 15th, 2017|Categories: Aerial|Tags: , , |19 Comments

1. Vivienne Fernie February 15, 2017 at 6:56 am - Reply

Omgosh that’s so neat. When looking at it at first I thought you’d taken the picture and painted over it in areas in blue, basically for a different effect.

2. Christopher Dotson February 15, 2017 at 7:37 am - Reply

Excellent shot. This is also one of my favorite places to visit.

3. Day Gotschall February 15, 2017 at 8:04 am - Reply

Stunning!

4. Mechelle Hendricks February 15, 2017 at 8:09 am - Reply

Beautiful

5. Phyllis Fader February 15, 2017 at 8:21 am - Reply

Incredible, I see a person, a cow

• Wednesdays in Marblehead February 15, 2017 at 9:24 am - Reply

Yup. Fun to find objects hiding in the shadows. I really like the ‘family’ standing in line at the bottom right.

6. Amy Bucher February 15, 2017 at 9:06 am - Reply

Awesome! I like it upside down too.

7. Chris Brown February 15, 2017 at 9:45 am - Reply

Once I figured out which way was which, it worked out fine. I need to revisit some relatives there when the roads dry.

8. Chris Brown February 15, 2017 at 9:45 am - Reply

🙂

9. Debbie Shearer Miller February 15, 2017 at 10:44 am - Reply

Hauntingly beautiful! I see an angel.

10. Susan Cole Kelly February 15, 2017 at 12:02 pm - Reply

This is wonderful! Not only a new perspective but the shadows almost disguise the landmarks so we have to get really involved in the picture to figure it out. So cool!

11. Judy Anderson February 15, 2017 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Looking at it upside down as an abstract painting, I like it’s design, colors and suggestion of paint flowing downward. Looking at it right side up I feel slightly disoriented.

12. Carolee Varga February 15, 2017 at 8:38 pm - Reply

I believe that the more you look at this wonderful work the more that you can see. It is truly a study in lights and shadows and a very nice piece of photographic art.

13. Jacqueline F Young February 16, 2017 at 2:13 am - Reply

I love it! The minute I saw it, I knew exactly where it was taken. I took a very amateur shot with the same idea down in the Everglades trying to catch the shadows and reflections in the water and what was on and under the water. I love shots like this.

14. Herb Goldberg February 16, 2017 at 11:26 am - Reply