Full Harbor for the Fourth of July

• A full harbor is captured in this aerial panorama taking in the whole of Marblehead Neck on the Fourth of July

Another funny story (to borrow the intro from last week’s image of kids on the boat) – my wife and I went out for dinner a few nights ago and, while eating, caught the words ‘Wednesdays in Marblehead’ coming from the table next to us. The group said some incredibly flattering things and my wife and I tried to figure out if/when to introduce ourselves but between the food and changes in conversation, the timing didn’t seem right.

I did catch one comment that I have been mulling over since then – there were mixed feelings on the drone/aerial images.  This is not the first that I have heard reservations on the aerial shots including from a local photographer whom I greatly respect.

I have found aerial images to be very difficult to get a handle on. There is almost too much freedom with nearly limitless compositions available. The easy shots are the 200-400 foot ones which offer a neat bird’s eye view of the town with vantage points that had been impossible up until now.  I think there’s something to those images but more the novelty of them than anything else.

Far fewer are the aerial images that offer a more intimate view of a building such as Abbot covered in fresh snow or the flaking rust atop the lighthouse. I’m trying to find more opportunities for those images that might push my creativity and open up new ideas.

For now, here’s one of those 400 foot views of a full harbor on the Fourth of July.

By |2018-08-06T22:34:08+00:00August 7th, 2018|Categories: Aerial|Tags: , , , , |10 Comments

1. Katherine Keyes Millett August 7, 2018 at 6:47 am - Reply

What a great pano!

2. Dale Wright McMahan August 7, 2018 at 7:12 am - Reply

I think you do an incredible job. You have been showing some pictures of places I have never seen and I have grown up in Marblehead. Keep doing what you are doing . You can never make everyone happy . ?

3. Suzanne Lynch August 7, 2018 at 7:50 am - Reply

I ? the drone shots ! The change in view, the height , the scenery that is captured is breathtaking. We would not get that chance to see what you have shown us from that vantage point . I say keep them in the mix , they are truly breathtaking! Nothing like capturing the top of Abbott Hall or the island formation underneath Misery or Browns iskand! Fascinsting!!

4. Lisa Sheldon Hoguet August 7, 2018 at 7:52 am - Reply

Your regular images are stunning but I also love the drone shots.

5. Holly Reynolds August 7, 2018 at 10:10 am - Reply

How many boats on average in the harbor in the summer??

6. Bruce Lord Sr. August 7, 2018 at 12:42 pm - Reply

You are hard on yourself

7. David Durkee August 7, 2018 at 12:43 pm - Reply

I was glad you mentioned the shot of Abbot Hall with the snow on it. It’s been my iPhone lock screen since you posted it. I can see where aerial views might seem “too easy” if that was the complaint, but I love seeing these new views of my old home town.

8. Don Rothenberg August 7, 2018 at 1:45 pm - Reply

I think the drone picture are great, as I enjoy much of your work.
    As long as your not looking in someone window…LOL
    I think you should continue!

9. Roy Frazel August 7, 2018 at 2:31 pm - Reply

People hate new things. There isn’t a medium or aesthetic that wasn’t derided in the beginning by purists. Van Gogh only sold one painting. Keep at it.

10. Cheryl Kohler August 8, 2018 at 12:28 am - Reply

I think you are phenomenal.