Sunset Skate – brief break from hiatus

• Adults and children gather on the ice at Redd's Pond for a sunset skate on a cold day in February

This might be the longest stretch that I have gone without taking a photo of Marblehead in almost ten years. I had influenza for the first time in my life and finally appreciated just how awful that virus can be. We all receive the vaccine annually and, while it is nowhere near 100% effective, my wife and daughter did not get the flu so that was a small win.  It took longer than expected to recover from that illness and I had absolutely no interest in venturing out during the recent arctic blast so I was content with letting the camera sit on the shelf…until last night.

I had returned home from work last night and noted the clouds forming as sunset approached. With all signs pointing towards a nice sunset, I decided to grab my gear and head out to Redd’s Pond. I knew the pond had frozen and wasn’t sure if it would remain so with the coming warmup so figured this would be a good opportunity to capture it. Plus, I figured that if sunset really did come through, I could use the ice to reflect those colors.

I arrived at Redd’s to find several adults and kids on the ice taking advantage of conditions for a sunset skate. I set up and explored different compositions until I spotted this interesting formation in the ice and decided to use it as a focal point of the image. As luck would have it, sunset came through with soft pinks reflected in the clouds overhead and the familiar red house across the pond served to reflect the setting sun in its large windows.

I normally take a hiatus from social media/posting for the month of February so I’ll see if I happen upon more interesting scenes in the month ahead and will share them in March…

By |2019-02-02T09:05:22+00:00February 2nd, 2019|Categories: Pond|Tags: , , , , |23 Comments

1. Jody Perry Puishys February 2, 2019 at 9:11 am - Reply

So happy to hear you’re on the mend. For having a little time off, you captured a fantastic shot! Having just moved to another state recently, your pictures keep my memories of my hometown so fresh and vivid. Thank you for all you do!

2. Brian Hancock February 2, 2019 at 9:14 am - Reply

Yet another beautiful photo. Glad that you are feeling better

3. John Cunningham February 2, 2019 at 9:15 am - Reply

Glad you’re feeling better.

Know what would make us feel better and warmer? Posting unseen summer pics of our beautiful town over the next month

4. Katy Carey February 2, 2019 at 9:20 am - Reply

Beautiful but looks like at some point someone fell through the ice! I hope they got out!

5. Julie O'Donnell Lever February 2, 2019 at 9:24 am - Reply

Glad you are feeling better. Great photo.

6. Debra Freeman Highberger February 2, 2019 at 9:25 am - Reply

Glad your feeling better !

7. Maria Dunn-Coleman February 2, 2019 at 10:07 am - Reply

Glad you’re feeling better!

8. Ashley Waterberg February 2, 2019 at 10:26 am - Reply

Beautiful!!

9. Priscilla Kuffel February 2, 2019 at 10:27 am - Reply

No fun having the flu! So happy to hear you are feeling better.Does look like someone fell through the ice.It looks fairly thin there..Pretty sky!

10. Beverly Park February 2, 2019 at 10:34 am - Reply

Beautiful! feel better.

11. Susan Corlies February 2, 2019 at 11:25 am - Reply

I’m glad to hear you are recovering from the flu, but sorry to know that you had it. Go right ahead and enjoy a break-my calendar is a wonderful substitute; though I must admit to having a hard time turning away from January’s view!! Be well, Eyal. ???

12. Lyn Curtis February 2, 2019 at 11:50 am - Reply

So glad that you’re feeling better! The flu is no joke. Take February to rest up, though we’ll miss your beautiful pictures.

13. Nancy Pavlakis Scholnick February 2, 2019 at 11:52 am - Reply

So sorry you had the flu, but glad to hear you are feeling so much better. ?

14. Pat Warnock Burke February 2, 2019 at 11:55 am - Reply

Another beautiful shot! Glad you’re feeling better. 🙂

15. Betsy Gillis February 2, 2019 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Glad you are feeling better!

16. Miri Oren February 2, 2019 at 12:19 pm - Reply

That’s an amazing shot. I hope you are totally over the flu and keeping warm. I miss you all ????

17. Patty Robitaille February 2, 2019 at 3:30 pm - Reply

So glad you’re feeling better!

18. Ruth O'Hara Montville February 2, 2019 at 3:33 pm - Reply

So glad you are better. Have to admit I missed your beautiful shots. Stay well!!

19. Jennie Mason February 2, 2019 at 6:01 pm - Reply

I skated at Redd’s pond as a child in the 1960’s-1970’s so these photos are so iconic to me and so appreciated. Stay well!

20. Linda Bolton February 2, 2019 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing Jon Putnam

21. Katherine Keyes Millett February 2, 2019 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Beautiful image…feel better drink lots of fluids tea honey and lemon helps alot.

22. Mary Checani February 3, 2019 at 3:59 am - Reply

Glad you are on the mend. Picture is awesome

23. Cynthia Brown February 6, 2019 at 9:00 pm - Reply

You’ve captured well the uneven texture of ice as I remember it, skating on a pond here on south shore.
    The black hole is not an above water event, but perhaps, has more to do with the depth at that point or the presence of an underground spring,
    which being warmer and moving would keep the ice open at that point. ~ So glad you feel better.