Race for the Jackson Cup in Marblehead Harbor

• The  Boston Yacht Club's 20th annual Jackson Cup race takes place inside Marblehead Harbor on a perfect April day

This weekend, the 20th annual Jackson Cup race took place inside Marblehead Harbor. The invitational hosted by the Boston Yacht Club is an event I look forward to photographing each year with views of the one-design boats and their colorful sails crossing familiar landmarks inside our harbor.

I began photographing on Saturday with my long lens from a position on Parker Lane before returning to the car to launch the drone for some overhead shots.  This image with a tight grouping of the boats under picture perfect skies with Abbot Hall and Crocker Park in the distance was a quick favorite.

I’ll have more to share from the Jackson Cup race in the weeks to come.

By |2018-04-30T21:18:09+00:00May 1st, 2018|Categories: Aerial|Tags: , , , , , |12 Comments

1. Paul Trefry May 1, 2018 at 8:14 am - Reply

Just curious – is the Jackson Cup named after famed sailing photographer Willard Jackson?

• Wednesdays in Marblehead May 1, 2018 at 8:37 am - Reply

I honestly don’t know. Maybe the Boston Yacht Club can weigh in with an answer.

• Mary Streever Zenda May 1, 2018 at 8:53 am - Reply

Perhaps Bob Jackson, past commodore of the BYC, and local dentist who passed quite a few years ago.

• Patsy Kane Wiswell May 1, 2018 at 9:35 am - Reply

Yes, named after PC Dr. Jackson.

• Paul Trefry May 1, 2018 at 9:54 am - Reply

Wednesdays in Marblehead undoubtedly a worthy person. (But I’m always siding with the photographers ?)

• Joanne Owens May 1, 2018 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Paul Trefry he was my dentist and I heard he died in the sea but I forgot the details. He was a unique individual.

• Lianne Jackson Ivers May 1, 2018 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Named for my father Dr. Robert F. Jackson. Former BYC Commodore.

2. Gini Lemm Luther May 1, 2018 at 8:40 am - Reply

love this photo. really captures the essence of marblehead. thank you!

3. Dorothy Reinhardt May 1, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

This is so perfect. Nice that there are almost no boats moored yet. The sky looks so nice with all the puffy little clouds. Trees haven’t leafed out yet, so the town looks brown. The colorful boats really stand out against the blue of the water. And I love that the little boat in the center has created a circular wake.

4. Judy Anderson May 3, 2018 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Delightful!

5. Susan Arnold Hughes May 3, 2018 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Sarah Perkins Arnold, this reminds me of the regatta pillow! Love To All! ?